SPEAKER - MESSAGE - RECEIVER
(Aristotle's Rhetorical Theory)
Wouldn't it be a hassle-free world if communication were as simple as: A speaker communicates one message and that message is received the same way it was said to its designated receiver?
The problem with communication is how .... it doesn't work like that. Just because you, the speaker, speak of a certain message with precise content, an organized arrangement and a specific manner of delivery doesn't always mean someone will receive it the exact same way you meant for it to be understood.
My personal ways of communicating have led me to be misunderstood a lot - this is relevant to all of us.
- My eco teacher said, in one of his lectures, "from one binge to another". I bursted out laughing because i thought he said (Pardon me) "from one bitch to another" and i didn't mean to offend anyone because i was simply laughing at a misinterpretation. My professor seemed like he took it the wrong way and thought i was laughing at him personally.
- I was upstairs in my room when my mom who was in the first floor asked me to do something. I answered in a shouting manner because i thought she couldn't hear me because she kept telling me to repeat what i said. She thought i was mad at her.
- I was with my friend in JSEC today and i was constantly blurting out random thoughts i had regarding his kwento. He kept making a face - the offended face. I kept telling him, "Dude, i didn't mean for it to be offensive because if i did, i wouldn't say it". I just said what was on my mind and i didn't have time to organize and make it sound less offensive in my mind.
- I made beso (conyo, sorry) my guy friend somewhere in school just in time for my distant friend to approach us. She asked if we were dating. We're not dating.
- I was in the same room as my crush during class and the exact moment i looked at him, he was looking at me. I assumed he was staring at me too. He wasn't.
- I lacked some sleep the night previous to this day and was yawning in one of my classes. My teacher told me off because he thought i was yawning because he was boring.
We communicate on a daily basis. We're bound to screw it up sometimes.
COMMENTS:
- http://mateocomm11.wordpress.com/2011/07/02/speaking-in-tones/#comment-9
- http://inigorojasblognumberone.blogspot.com/2011/07/perception-of-theories.html?showComment=1309916858393#c3259361052465500718
- http://letsjoe.blogspot.com/2011/07/entry-2-yo-cut-noise.html?showComment=1309916653977#c3027939999707456538

Your posts are super unique. It's very interesting to read and I can surely empathize with you! :D
ReplyDeleteYou wrote a lot of very nice examples of noises/disturbances.
Although, this particular post is labeled as “The Rhetorical Theory” of Aristotle, which consists ONLY of a speaker, a message, and a receiver. Isn't it suppose to be "The Mathematical Theory" of Shannon and Weaver since they were the ones who postulated the existence of noises? :)
Hi Issa!
ReplyDeleteCan I just say, I love how you write! I also read your first post before I and find it very interesting. I think you have the ability to come up with various writing approaches that could really engage your readers. Just like what Sir Beaver said, it's a good balance between substance and humor.
By the way, I totally agree with you. There will always be instances when our actions or words would make the people around us misinterpret what we actually mean. It sucks but I guess we just have to deal with it.
Looking forward to your next entry! =)
Issa, I like the way you started off this blog entry! Haha, it made the whole feel lighter and more pleasant.
ReplyDeleteI also like how you promote simplicity and yet get all your points across in a straightforward manner.
Your writing style too possessed a certain impact to it! Like there was a sense of wittiness in it but also felt very honest.
Looking forward to reading more of your entries!
Oh, thank god. I am so glad I finally cam across a bite sized and readable post. I almost collapsed from exhaustion after reading Matteo's latest post.
ReplyDeleteI like your post's presentation, instead of simply presenting the theory and expounding on it. You presented it's imperfections and in that way, showed that that is all that it is, a theory: it does not gover nor define, it is simply a guideline, an ideal.
Though, I do belive that the mathematical theory would have been better for this, because the misunderstandings are a type of noise, i think.
-Justice Munda
Great article, Issa! Your entry mentions something we somehow failed to discuss comprehensively in class... MISCOMMUNICATION, which does fit more accurately with Shannon and Weaver's model.
ReplyDeleteHahaha, I kind of agree with Jus. Your entry presents the ideas in a clear and straight-forward manner. Easy to read but very substantial :)