Tuesday, October 4

Too Attached

One of the theories we discussed in class this week was explaining how media and technology have not only been integrated to our society but have changed it entirely. It has perpetuated the way we think, the way we move, the way we interact, and basically, the way we live. When we think we can live our lives separate to technology, we are mistakened. It is no longer just a part of society; it has become our society.

I was at the AdMu vs. FEU Finals game last Saturday to cheer and to perform our much-awaited drumline performance during the halftime show. I was watching live in Araneta witnessing Ateneo's 4-peat unfold exactly as it's happening but you know what i was thinking about? "I wonder what my Twitter feed's saying about all this?" I wanted to know how the people on Twitter are talking about the 4-peat even as it was happening right in front of me. I thought it was a bit weird because i was so used to reading about big events that when a big event happens and i witness it for myself, i can't help but think of how i would just read about it

It's a kind of attachment that has become far too deep to detach - technology and I, technology and us. Even though we deprive ourselves of the thing/object/gadget itself and live without the technology, the idea of technology and the way it works have been implanted in our heads and it's never going away.

2 comments:

  1. If we make a comparison of current times with previous times. You'll see that they were able to cope without such technologies like laptops and cellphones.

    But as time went on, technology underwent many improvements and things became much easier for people to do. We've become so accustomed to the convenience that technology provides that we usually do find ourselves lost when it's taken away.

    I think the attachment comes from the deep change that technology made. It's become a part of our lives already so I honestly can't blame anyone for feeling lost anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogs have been very, well, interesting, to say the least (especially the last one).

    Anyway, it was good to have you in class this year, Issa. I know there is a lot of wisdom there, waiting to come out. You just need to push it a little more to let those ideas free.

    Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete